Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Fresian Flight

Once in awhile you flee the desert and seek another adventure. We stopped at a well known farm. You guessed it. We wandered around and saw the baby animals. Some were exotic and others the regulars on many farms. The show stoppers were the Andalusian stallions and mares. We were thrilled to see the Frisian stallions workout and in an outside pen a jet black colt at the mares side. Touring this farm reminded me of my childhood. My father and his ark of animals. Spring was new life on the hoof as a child. This was a gentle reminder of all that I miss now that Dad is gone,  but is an open window to my heart.

Coal Black with Wings

The young foal nuzzled in to feed,
then stepped lightly back and looked at us
with large eyes and flared nostrils.

As we lingered- he began to play,
hooves flying and back arched-
he wheeled around the paddock
gushing endless energy all over me.

He seemed to dance and spar with unseen foes
already acting the stallion, cruising the sand.
Powerful legs leaped and turned-
twisting in air, settling down gracefully.

A tornado in a fur coat- momentarily pinned to earth-
only to pop up again and again.
Glistening baby hair lightly curled in mane and tail,
a faint star shone on his forehead,

sparkling eyes, upturned ears took it all in
he returned to safety at mothers side,
only to launch anew
What rocket sent this zephyr,

an apparition, a muse, a mirage
yet, real and strong?
Embodied gentle words, quiet music and hushed tones
a specter conjured up in living flesh.

I only know I felt the feathers brush my face,
smelled the scent of pines lifted in quiet solitude,
drank deeply of crystal blackness,
and flew rhythmically to oceans' depths.

Lifted on Pegusus' back-
coal-black wings stroke the wind.
I felt something more as I touched the unseen-
past, present and future in one foal.


No comments:

Post a Comment