Monday, February 20, 2017

Wild Mustang Encounter

Memories of childhood come flooding in whenever I see horses. My father's passion was to train and work horses. Watching Western movies was a fun pastime for us as kids. Nothing was more exciting than bronc busting wild mustangs as shown in the movies. 

Here in the desert, we have real wild mustangs. Small herds roam the area, and we see them from time to time as we cross the desert to go to town. Yesterday was one of those times. We were in no rush, so when we saw a pair of them, we drove off of the highway and back closer to them via a dirt road. 

When we got back there, we couldn't see them because there was a rise between us and them. I figured that I could sneak up on them and get a better picture. They would surely run when they heard me. As I got near the top of the rise, I could see them standing at attention looking at me. I stood up, and then to my surprise, they started to walk and then trot toward me. I thought they would be scared of me. I was a full 150 yards from the car and less than half that from them. I decided to jog toward the car. They were obviously not afraid of me. 

As I got to the car, they kept coming and stopped for a photo-op near the car. These two bachelors, young stallions, I guess came urged by curiosity. I was no bronc-buster today. At first sign of me, they came forward ready to engage. I headed for safety with my kids  and wife wondering why I was running back to the car. This time nature ran on four hooves and I enjoyed them from the car. 

Today the Day Mustangs Ran

No cowpoke, no not today.
I turned and ran the other way.
They got the best of me by far
as I sat safely inside my car.

I had come to see them running free
and crept up as quiet as could be
and poked my head up ov'r the rise
and stood just lookin' in their eyes.

I saw them and they saw me.
My heart raced wild, my mind set free,
for just an instant neither moved-
not horse, nor me, we only stood.

They didn't turn and run away.
They stood and whinnied and faced their prey.
One stomped his feet and swung his head,
trotted to me and moved ahead.

I looked at them, and they looked at me.
They were coming closer I could see.
I was the one filled with surprise.
I thought I could scare them by my size.

But they were young and strong and brave
and I was feeling small today.
So I took a final shot quite clear,
turned tail, and jogged away from there.

Tucked safe inside my car I laughed,
they had followed directly in my path.
Wild mustangs great roaming free
amazed to see them next to me.

I never thought there would be a day
I would see them in this personal way.
So close they stood, so tall and straight,
these stallions two followed me today.



























No comments:

Post a Comment