Thursday, February 16, 2017

My Drive Through the Desert

As late winter scrambles to make up its mind about temperature, snow, rain, wind and mud, I marvel at the changes and love the feel of the warm sun on my face. I gaze at the passing of clouds in waves overhead and the glistening frost covering everything in the mornings. Long drives in the desert filled with what the locals call "Windshield Time" gives one plenty of time to think - having the road to oneself and an open mind to whatever thoughts creep in. 

On one of these trips across the desert, I was completely taken by the scene spread before me. The mountains were bathed in a glorious purple light - snow-clad mountains oozing purple. I have to admit that purple mountain majesty came to mind. I couldn't take my eyes from them. The soft glow of sunset stretched from West to East where everything was set on purple fire. As the sun crept low in the western sky, the light show ended as if fading into nothingness and finally utter darkness.  

Purple is a Great Color for Mountains

Jagged peaks covered in snow lay before me.
The sun setting in the west, ruby and tangerine,
transformed to grape and cobalt in the east.

How could the mountains be made of purple ice?
When dull grey valleys lost in twilight 
spread as a backdrop wide as curtains-
that I now drove imperceptibly through. 

My mind raced forward to get a better view.
The colors seemed to fade like my scrambled thoughts.
Was it real or just imagined?
I retraced my mental journey and reveled 
in the quiet of falling darkness.

No one to interrupt, no traffic to distract
- only peace. No fear could present itself.
Not even a loud thought could penetrate
the wonder of this ever-changing scene.

Deep and powerful the rows of crags 
illuminated in ever-changing color, 
like LED lights spreading through diffused clouds.
My wandering senses tried to comprehend
that these illusions of reality existed.




No comments:

Post a Comment