Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Winter Cold In the West Desert

I have been meaning to get back into blogging. I love poetry and the inspiration of living where nature calls to me. Living in the desert of western Utah is a wonderful experience. I have met wonderful, talented and resilient people. The kids in the school are amazing in ability and willingness to do what is needed to succeed. The drives are long and quiet with two hours to the nearest gas pump. My flip phone is useful here with pen and ink. I can write a note and have delivered instantly to the other teacher in the building. This is not the country's largest dead zone as there is no cell service for 50 miles.  It is alive in every real and important way. In the dead of winter we feel and hear the sounds the desert makes. There is no traffic to mask its often silent song. Come with me and experience a night of silent cold wonder.



West Desert Silence

The moon laid in winters' white blanket
drifting silently off to sleep.
Still cold air crept in and hushed my very breath.

Invisible droplets chilled to the bone - frozen in place -
protested as they thrust crystalline daggers into the air.
A miniature army standing erect on limb and wire.
Each stood as sentinel grouped ever closer in frigid clumps.

Reflected light glistened from every surface -
now shrouded in frost -
sparkling diamonds glinted and jumped to life across the ground
perfectly beautiful, dressed in intricate lace.

All quiet, I moved across the desert filled with wonder.
Nothing to interrupt my thoughts.
The peaceful cold, calm and penetrating,
yet, powerful and moving -
drew me forward, 
grateful, I pause to feel its magic.

M.P.C. January 3, 2017















No comments:

Post a Comment